Iver is a very historic place. It is situated in the extreme southeast of Buckinghamshire and includes the separate districts of Iver Village, Iver Heath and Richings Park. Iver has been inhabited since the Stone Age. Implements from prehistory have been found in gravel pits and the Colne Brook. The name Iver is Saxon in origin recorded first in 893 and the parish church of St. Peter has Saxon work in the nave. Iver is mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086 with its Saxon name of Evreham.
Iver Village itself consists of residential areas, local shopping facilities and Infant and Junior schools as well as ongoing agriculture in the surrounding countryside. Light industry ranges from motor vehicle maintenance to food production. Warehouses make use of the nearby motorway networks (M4, M25 and M40) for the distribution of a diversity of products. The appearance of the village has changed much in the last two centuries but the heart of the village is a conservation area, designated in 1982, which includes St Peter’s Church
The coming of the railway, Brunel’s Great Western route, had little impact on Iver until Iver station was opened after World War One that led to the development of Richings Park.
Trains from Iver station (now managed by TfL) go east to Paddington and west to Slough and beyond, and with the imminent introduction of Crossrail (Elizabeth Line) the journey into London should be even quicker and easier. South from Iver village Thorney Lane crosses the Slough arm of the Grand Union canal and the railway line leading to Richings Park.
The Church of England, Parish of Iver
Within the larger municipal Parish of Iver, there are two Church of England Parishes: Iver, (comprising Iver Village and Richings Park) and Iver Heath, which has its own Anglican church, St Margaret’s of Antioch.
The Church of England Parish of Iver extends over four square miles and contains two Anglican Churches – the ancient church of St Peter in the village, dating from the Saxon period, and St Leonard’s in Richings Park – built in Victorian times. Additionally, in Iver Village, there is Kings Church (an independent evangelical church) and the Light and Life (Pentecostal) Church.
Iver Village is the centre of the parish and consists of a village community with a mixture of houses built on the framework of the old village. There is a Village Hall, which is a centre for drama, club meetings and functions, Pre-schools plus Iver Village Infant and Junior schools. A bus services connect Iver Village and Richings Park to Uxbridge and Slough.
Richings Park is located about a mile south from the Iver Village, largely built in the 1920’s as a planned residential development by the Sykes brothers from Yorkshire. Main Drive to the south of North Park led to the mansion that gave Richings Park its name and the tree lined route is still in evidence.
Iver Village and Richings Park have a diverse multi cultural community.
The nearest hospitals are Wexham Park and Hillingdon, both about 3 miles away. Currently local government consists of a Parish Council and a County Council (Buckinghamshire). The Local Education Authority is Buckinghamshire.